[Wien] Why the antiferromagnetic structure of Cr is still cubic

Juan Manuel Perez Mato wmppemam at lg.ehu.es
Fri Jun 10 11:55:20 CEST 2016

This discussion may be very misleading. The concept of frustation is very popular, but whatever geometrical frustation may exist in a fcc lattice, the magnetic structure of NiO is perfectly collinear (see for instance in the MAGNDATA database of the Bilbao crystallographic server: http://webbdcrista1.ehu.es/magndata/index.php?this_label=1.6 <http://webbdcrista1.ehu.es/magndata/index.php?this_label=1.6>) , and each triangular plane of spins perpendicular to the <1,1,1>  has NO frustration, as the couplings within the planes are FM . Therefore the small structural structural strain can not be caused to get rid of the frustration.

In general, any magnetic ordering breaks the symmetry of the system, and structural distortions compatible with the new symmetry can happen due to magneto-structural coupling. Often this coupling is too weak to be detected, but in other cases like NiO is strong enough. In the case of NiO the magnetic order reduces the symmetry to monoclinic, and the observed structural distortion corresponds to this symmetry break.

best regards,

Manuel

> El 10/6/2016, a las 0:46, delamora <delamora at unam.mx> escribió:
>
> No, because in NaCl you do not have magnetic moments that want to find order, so there is no frustration
> In NiO the distortion is a way out of this frustration

J. Manuel Perez-Mato
Fac. Ciencia y Tecnologia,
Universidad del Pais Vasco, UPV
48080 BILBAO,