[Wien] Question about QSPLIT and ISPLIT for changing orientation of calculated decomposed DOS

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 29 13:11:56 CEST 2016

1) Yes of course (at least when the rotated EFG-coordinate system is
very different from the original one) the orbital decomposition depends
fully on the coordinate system.

2) Using    x lapw2 -qtl    you are always working in the corresponding
"local rotation matix" coordinate system. Furthermore, you should NOT
play with ISPLIT !! Setting it to 8 (if it was -2) will NOT give a
correct decomposition (unless you use a k-mesh in the full BZ !!)

On the other hand, if the EFG has an arbitrary direction, you should
have isplit=8 anyway and cannot use -2 ??

3) The only possibility is using    x qtl  where you can define via
case.inq your "private" coordinate system.

PS: Experiment first with simple changes, where you know what should
come out. Eg. exchange x and y, so that a xz orbital becomes yz; or
rotate by 45 degrees, so that x2-y2 becomes xy; ... until you know what
you should do.