[Wien] regarding exciton binding energies and dielectric constant [updated]

Dr. K. C. Bhamu kcbhamu85 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:24:54 CET 2016

Thank you Professor Peter and McLeod for your nice explanation.
I have to go through the paper and then I can make a better statement.
You are right Mcleod, it is orthrohombic MAPbI3 structure.

Dear Prof. Peter,

It is reported by Tran that mBJ is not good for effective masses:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg10700.html

However as per your suggestion I am going to follow below steps. I have
limited wall time  so I need your comment on below steps:

For now (to save walltime), Please make any comment in any step if I am
going wrong:

What I am using:
*Goal*: mBJ+SO
A.
1. PBE as PBE gave better band gap so it may be useful. In the suggested
paper they did not used PBE function instead they used PBEsol.
2. 144 k-points generated, ndiv= 11 7 11 (I think it is more than
sufficient).
3. ecut -7.5 to consider Pb (5P) state as valence.
4. R-MT*K-MAX = 3 (as I have "H" here).
5. gmin =    9.23077, gmax =   20.00000
6. SP calculation ? No (as it is not a magnetic system).

B.
run a regular scf "min -j 'run_lapw -p -i 40 -ec 0.0001 -cc 0.0001 -fc 1'
Tt will give me a relaxed structure with optimised a,b and c.

C.
1. save_lapw case_bhamu
2. init_mbj_lapw
3. run_lapw -i 1
4. run_mbj_lapw
     "run-lapw -p -i 80 -ec 0.0001 -cc 0.001"    (as per your recent
comment on my post that we do not
       need -fc if we have done in regular scf)
5. save_lapw case_mBJ

D.

1. initso_lapw
2. runsp_lapw -so -p -i 40 -ec 0.0001 -cc 0.0001'   Fine ????

I am using both step C and D differently because Dr. Tran suggested for the
same (
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg03843.html)

One more question:
how iqtlsave will change the calculation if I coose it as "0"?

Kind regards

Dr. K. C. Bhamu
(UGC-Dr. D. S. Kothari Postdoc Fellow)
Department of Physics