[Wien] Hartree-Fock and the Hubbard Model

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Nov 20 16:28:22 CET 2016

Hi,

DFT+U is a cheap but rather rough approximation of HF.
Beside this, there is also the difference that in DFT+U, the Coulomb
operator is attenuated in order to account for the screening due to
correlation. In HF, no correlation is included.
In hybrids, the screening is included by using only ~25% of HF exchange
(and there is also correlation coming from a LDA/GGA correlation term).

Hybrid, onsite-hybrid and DFT+U are more or less the same,
since all of them are one-electron methods and mix HF with LDA/GGA.
As Karel said, they are better than LDA/GGA, but can not reproduce
the experimental observations that are beyond the one-electron methods.
DMFT is better since it is a beyond one-electrons method.

Read that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDA+U

FT