[Wien] Discrepancy in the simulation of the paramagnetic state

Xavier Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Sun Nov 27 12:46:50 CET 2016

Just to add one more point to this funny discussion, the term
"paramagnetic" is sometimes used in the DFT litterature in an improper way.

It could clearly lead to misunderstanding for researchers who do not
know so much on how magnetic properties could evolve with temperature
and applied magnetic field. When you see in a paper "paramagnetic state"
simulated using DFT ... it is NOT paramagnetic at all, it is simply a
trick which must be considered with care as previously mentionned by
Peter, Eliane and Martin.

If you want to simulate a paramagnetic state you need to include the
temperature effects, i.e. you should consider the spin dynamics and the
competition between magnetic exchange interactions and thermal
fluctuations. This could be done, at least, using Monte-Carlo
calculations based on an effective hamiltonian constructed on top of DFT
parameters (including magnetic exchange and anisotropy at least).

Best Regards

Xavier