[Wien] Units of the momentum matrix elements

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Apr 18 12:19:01 CEST 2017

I could be wrong, but I think the values of the complex momentum matrix
elements in the mommat2 file should be in units of momentum.

In the atomic units (a.u.) system [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_units ], I believe the momentum
element values are unitless or dimensionless.

However, to know what the unitless values are for in the a.u. system, I
think they use labels like a.u. of mass, a.u. of charge, etc. [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-SI_units_mentioned_in_the_SI ].  For
momentum, there is:

a.u. of momentum

To convert between that and SI units, there is [
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/pdf/nonsi_2006.pdf ]:

1 a.u. of momentum = 1.99 x 10^-24 kg*m/s

In the a.u. system, there are Hartree atomic units and Rydberg atomic
units.  It seems that values such as energy and mass between the two are
NOT the same in the a.u. system [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units#Atomic_units ].

However, I tried to do a simple momentum calculation of p = mv with m =
9.11x10^-31 kg and v = 2x10^6 m/s with Hartree atomic units and Rydberg
atomic units, and it looks like they gave the same values for momentum [
https://github.com/gsabo/Units/blob/master/Momentum%20SI%20And%20Atomic%20Units.pdf
].

Though, the internal calculations of optic might be using the system of
Rydberg atomic units [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg14845.html
, https://doi.org/10.1186/1754-0429-1-12 (where section 3.2 shows e^2 =
1/m = 2 and ħ = 1) ].