[Wien] How to simulate the ionic state of a compound?

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 22 19:00:07 CEST 2017

DFT in general and Wien2k especially are there to tell you with
remarkably high precision what the charge distribution in a given
structure actually looks like. Thats FAR better than any hand-waving Ni
is 2+, O 2-. If you don't like what DFT tells you and want to draw some
fictitious ionic representation of NiO, take xcrysden, plot the
structure, and add labels saying that the (maybe) red circles are Ni2+
and the (maybe) blue circles are O2-.

It should be obvious to you from your lectures and readings on solid
state physics that the total energy depends on Z. If you change the
nuclear charge Z you change the element at that position. One can adjust
the number of electrons and their starting distribution in Wien2k, but I
plainly won't tell you how. You will learn much more if you find out
yourself - start with the User Guide and a solid state physics text
book.

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University