[Wien] How to simulate the ionic state of a compound?

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Aug 23 14:14:35 CEST 2017

I am not sure where this discussion is wandering. There is one general
point of some importance: the " Charge" or "Ionic State" is not an absolute
number, it changes with the property/experiment:

1) Bader charge: a measure of the ionicity.
2) Valence charge, as normally used this is the charge measured in an
electrochemical experiment. This corresponds to a purely ionic model.
3) Spectroscopies charge, what is measured using XPS and many other
Spectroscopies, and is close to the bond valence sum.
4) Born charge, the dynamic charge, for instance the effective charge of a
moving atom that one can get from a Berry phase calculation.

1)-4) are all different, and if you use them inappropriately GIGO. For
instance, there is the infamous polar catastrophy at surfaces/interfaces
that arises when people nievely use 2).

---
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi