[Wien] How to know if the M+2 has a high spin from calculation?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Aug 28 18:16:19 CEST 2017

It is not always so simple to find the charge state of an atom. It
really depends on the material you are looking at.

But for Fe 2+ or 3+ in high-spin configuration of some Fe-oxide it is
rather simple:

Fe3+ in high-spin conf. has 3d5-up and no 3d-dn electrons. This makes a
spin-moment of 5 per Fe atom (if you have a ferromagnet, you may see
:MMTOT a multiple of 5, but if it is a ferri or antiferromagnet MMTOT
may be zero or different). The MMIxxx value of this atom will be large
(around 4).

If it is Fe 2+, we have 3d5-up/3d1-dn; i.e. only a moment of 4.
The MMIxxx of Fe 2+ is usually around 3.6 muB.

Total charges within an atomic sphere are usually not suitable to decide
on that.

An alternative is Bades AIM theory and the AIM program can calculate
these Bader charges. However, also for these Bades charges, the
differences between Fe 2+ or 3+ might be samll (maybe 0.1 e at most).

So the spin-analysis is best, if you have a high-spin state. Low
spin-states and/or different symmetries (tetrahedral vs. octahedral,...)
have different laws and you need some knowledge of crystal field theory
to get an idea what can happen.