[Wien] ReSi2 - semi-core states are missing from DOS

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 1 15:19:40 CET 2017

a) Missing DOS of core states:
You calculate the DOS on an E-grid with a spacing of 3 mRy. Your core
states have such a small band dispersion (eg. just one 1mRy, but
sometimes even below; check the band ranges), and their energies fall
BETWEEN your DOS E-grid, so on your grid there is really no DOS. In
case.outputt you should see that at the expected energies, the
"integreated DOS" increases from one energy mesh to the next by 2, 6 or
even 14 electrons, although the DOS at these energies is always zero.

In essence: It is meaningless to "plot a DOS" of these localized states,
as it would corresponds to almost a delta-peak at a particular energy.
Also note, that in DFT the energy of a core level has really no
particular meaning anyway and will be far from any measurement (10 %
error in E-position)

b) XPS of 4f core states:
I would strongly recommend to put these states into the core. This can
be done conveniently during init_lapw in lstart, by not using an Energy
criterium (like -6 or -8 Ry), but a "localization criterium" like 0.999
. If you check the localization of the 4f states during lstart, you will
see that nearly everything is within the atomic sphere.
The advantage of this core treatment is 2-fold: spin-orbit coupling is
included nearly exactly (and not approximative in lapwso); and a
"half-core hole" calculation based on Slaters transition state theory
should even give you fairly accurate absolute energies.
Remember: the core states are recalculated in the modified crystal
potential, so the effect of charge transfer, ... is covered. A direct
hybridization with other states is anyway zero (as you can see from your
band width when you put them as semicore state) and there is no need to
allow for it in principle (but spoiling the much more important
spin-orbit coupling). It is in general NOT true that inclusion of more
core states increases the "accuracy" ....