[Wien] Band gap calculation of C diamond structure

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Feb 13 10:42:20 CET 2017

The problem will be in the .struct you started from. You say yourself
that the structure does not look like diamond in xcrysden. Don't change
the .struct file in a case directory and restart the scf. The
calculation relies on consistency of various input files.

The standard advice seems to be:

start a new case in fresh directory,
generate (preferably from w2web) a new struct file,
inspect it with xcrysden (there is no meaning in wasting CPU-time for
scf-cycles on wrong structures),
proceed with the initialization (check the nearest neighbor distances in
outputnn to see if you got the units in struct right)
and start the scf only when everything went ok.

... and keep fingers crossed

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University