[Wien] Ambiguity in instructions for XPS/XAS/TELNES

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 15 22:56:01 CET 2017

I do not have real experience with this and I don't think there are
"global" rules, but one has to consider the specific case.

I guess in most cases it does not matter which spin you select for the
core hole. The important thing is the coulomb potential, which is
modified due to a missing electron. The exchange effect should be small.

I could imagine (without real experience) that this could be important
for more localized cases like in 3d or in particular 4f elements,
because the 4f valence electrons are spatially in a similar region as a
higher core electron and thus direct exchange effects can happen.

In any case, typically XAS of localized 3d or 4f electron systems is not
well described by the simple core-hole approach, since multiplet effects
dominate the L2,3 or M4,5 spectra.

PS: Did you really see a spin change depending on a up/dn or
"non-magnetic" hole ?