[Wien] Treating f states of rare earth ions as core states

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 22 08:05:12 CET 2017

Yes, this is very easy.

You can put the 4f into case.inc with the desired fixed number of
electrons (and eventually add a "shift" to that atom, so that lcore
always finds positive eigenvalues, see UG or the lecture notes of Pavel
Novak in the textbook section of wien2k.at).

Then you put the E-parameter of the 4f state in case.in1 from 0.3 to eg.
2.0, thus the 4f states are excluded in the basis and you reduce the
number of valence electrons NE in case.in2 so that you have the proper
charges.