[Wien] Different convergences in Non-SP and SP methods

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jan 4 15:51:31 CET 2017

I would argue that you did NOT find a difference between two
calculations of the same thing. You only told the program to stop early.

If you want to distiguish between states with a difference in energy
smaller than the default 0.001 Ry, then you have to converge (with
regard to ALL numeric parameters like RKmax, Emax, k-mesh ...) to a
smaller energy. The same holds if you want to see if two solutions are
the same: you can only tell if and that they are the same up to the
precision you set as convergence criteria. Smaller energy differences
are not significant - YOU told the program that they are not!

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University
Institute of Physics