[Wien] Plotfunktion von Wannier-Funktionen in w2w für SOC-Rechnungen

Elias Assmann elias.assmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:21:55 CET 2017

Dear Okan,

Please do not send wien2wannier usage questions to my personal e-mail.
Instead, please use the Wien2k mailing list for the benefit of other
users.  I am taking this discussion to the list and therefore answering
in English.

The first question concerns NaNs in ‘case_m.xsf’ as produced by ‘wplot2xsf’.

On 01/10/2017 08:32 PM, Köksal, Okan wrote:
> - write_inwplot case (Input-File für wplot)
>
> - x wplot -wf m (m= Nummer der entsprechenden WF) -up -so
>
> Bis hierhin habe ich auch keine Probleme gesehen, nur bei der
> Konvertierung zu einer Input-Datei für XCrySDen/VESTA via "wplot2xsf
> -up", sehe ich dass in der *.xsf -Datei Einträge mit "nan" und andere
> wiederum mit Zahlen belegt sind. Daher würde ich gerne fragen, was der
> Grund hierfür sein könnte? Oder müssen die Dateien "case_m.psink" bzw.
> "case_m.psiarg" eigenhändig angepasst werden? Konnte im w2w-UG keine
> Hinweise hierzu finden.

To clarify, you are saying there are no NaNs in the .psink and .psiarg
files?  Can you figure out which places in those files lead to the NaNs?
 Note that the order is not the same in .xsf; ‘wplot2xsf’ reads into the
array ‘data’ and then outputs
data.reshape((nx, ny, nz)).transpose(2,1,0).reshape(nx*ny*nz)

If the problem really is in wplot2xsf, then it cannot be directly
related to SOC, since wplot2xsf only cares about .psink and .psiarg (and
marginally a few other files that are not really different with SOC).

Question number 2 is about the correspondence of WFs in the presence of
SOC to “spin ↑” and “spin ↓” (specifically the Hamiltonian matrix
elements in case_hr.dat).

> Ich versuche derzeit ein TB-Modell mit SOC aufzustellen. Mit SOC sind
> die Matrixelemente für die entsprechenden WFs bzw. deren Imaginärteile
> ungleich 0. Da sich die Matrix mit SOC verdoppelt (im Vergleich zur
> ursprünglichen Matrix ohne SOC), stellt sich mir die Frage, wie die
> "spin up/down"-Matrixelemente im "case_hr.dat" zu lesen sind bzw. sind
> diese in einer anderen Datei abgelegt? Auch ist mir bewusst, dass durch
> das Mischen von "spin up/down" diese keine gute Quantenzahl mehr ist.

The general answer is that the WFs are free to mix “↑” and “↓”
arbitrarily and case_hr.dat contains matrix elements between those
combined-spin WFs.  Therefore such a correspondence can only ever be an
approximation.  If your material has only light elements and SOC is very
weak, you will typically find WFs that correspond to “↑” and “↓” to a
good approximation, i.e. half the WFs will have negligible projections
on ↑, and the other half on ↓.

	Elias