[Wien] The correlation and exchange formulas of potential and energy for PBE functional

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Jan 17 01:10:28 CET 2017

 From what I see at that link, the exchange-correlation energy is given by:

Exc = Ex + Ec (1)

The exchange-correlation potential [
http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/events/ws2015/Tran-talk_xc.pdf (slide
5) ] is:

Vxc = d(Exc)/d(rho) (2)

Plugging (1) into (2):

Vxc = d(Ex + Ec)/d(rho) (3)

 From the sum-rule [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sum_rule_in_differentiation ]:

Vxc = d(Ex)/d(rho) + d(Ec)/d(rho) (4)

Let (4) take the form:

Vxc = Vx + Vc (5)

where

Exchange potential: Vx = d(Ex)/d(rho) (6)

Correlation potential: Vc = d(Ec)/d(rho) (7)

Page 112 of the WEIN2k 16.1 usersguide has:

individual keywords : EX_PBE EC_PBE VX_PBE VC_PBE

In some form, those are probably the potential equations that the PBE
code is based on.
If not, at least the variable names Vx and Vc in equation (6) and (7)
match quite nicely with the keywords VX_PBE and VC_PBE, respectively.