[Wien] How to speed up a reliable optimization

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:28:48 CET 2017

The last two (three) have useful information. They are

Mode Size Step

Mode is whether the trust region is active; it is off when Newton is shown.

Size is the radius of the trust region compared to a full Newton step, for
instance 0.5 would mean only half the full radius.

Step is the magnitude of the step taken compared to a full Pratt step.

All mixer codes (other DFT as well) use a Taylor series expansion for the
density change with some approximation for the Jacobian (see the mixer
README & papers). MSEC3 & MSR1 use different Jacobian approximations, as
did the old BROYD. Neglecting the higher-order terms is only valid for some
total step magnitude, the trust-region radius which is the "Size" variable
above. When Size is small the algorithm thinks these higher-order terms
matter. (The mixer adjusts the trust-region radius depending upon how much
the self-consistency is improving, which is very tricky, fuzzy coding and
imperfect.)

The numbers you sent indicate that the algorithm thinks everything is
"fine". If Size is small (e.g. 0.05) and remains small that suggests a
problem. The "Step" term can be small when :DIS is large, but should not be
small near the solution. If it is large (2-3 or more) the algorithm thinks
that there are soft modes present.

---
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi