[Wien] Questions in "initso_lapw" when using "runsp_c_lapw" to run my task

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 11 08:38:12 CEST 2017

Some people use (or misuse ?) U also in nonmagnetic systems (band gap of
ZnO with a huge Zn-3d U).

In any case, as mentioned before, you have to use a spin-polarized setup
for LDA+U and if you want to restrict to zero magnetization (and save
time) you can use   runsp_c_lapw -orb [-so].

 From the symmetry point of view, however, this is a spin-polarized
calculation and thus when spin-orbit is included, you have to answer
"spin-polarization yes" during initso. This will (in many cases) reduce
the symmetry.