[Wien] Charge convergence

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Jul 11 18:13:36 CEST 2017

It is possible for :ENE (Energy, -ec) to seem to converge, but has not
-- so it is always wise IMO to also use the charge converge (:DIS,
-cc). A value of .0004130 is probably OK, I suggest using the "Check"
command which gives more information. (Peter added it to version 16,
presumably 17 as well as a command Check-mixing.)

>From the variational principle, the density converges more slowly than
the energy. Depending upon what you are trying to do your charge
convergence may be fine. For something like phonons it probably is
not. I will note that very good charge convergence often requires good
k-mesh, RKMAX etc, more than is needed for a routine calculation.

N.B., with more atoms charge convergence can be harder to achieve --
and less important.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what