[Wien] Fw: Optical property calculation when spin orbit added

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Jul 14 05:53:30 CEST 2017

Regarding the empty case.vectorsoup, probably it was created when lapwso
started, but it likely failed while running before any data could be
written to it.  However, I doubt anyone can be of further help.  The
case.dayfile, standard input/output file(s), *.error, and/or other
output files are typically needed to locate the cause.

My guess is that you submit your job script in the terminal with [1,2]:

qsub pbs.job

Unless you are using a script for the w2web interface [3].

For example, pbs.job at

http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/faq/pbs.html

has in it:

#define here your WIEN2k command

run_lapw -p -i 40 -fc 1. -I

Yes, you should be able to run more the one WIEN2k command in it.  I
don't have a system with qsub to test it, but for example, changing
those lines to the following might work:

#define here your WIEN2k command

init_lapw -b -sp
initso_lapw < initso_input_file
runsp_lapw -so -orb -ec 0.0001 -cc 0.001
x kgen -so < kgenso_input_file
x lapw1 -up
x lapw1 -dn
x lapwso -up
x lapw2 -so -fermi -up
x lapw2 -so -fermi -dn
x lcore -up
x lcore -dn
# Can keep adding additional commands here

As seen above, you may need to use "<" to get input from a file instead
of the keyboard [4,5].

In addition, the optic steps in your email appear to be for a serial
calculation.  However, the "-p" in your runsp_lapw indicates you did a
parallel calculation for the scf, which may be why your calculation does
not work.

I think you need to check if a program needs the -p option by running:

x -h program

or check the WIEN2k usersguide (UG).

For example, in the WIEN2k 17.1 UG [6] in section 8.11.1 on page 165, it
shows that kram does not take a -p option.

I cannot recall for sure, but it might be that the optic programs were
not parallelized.  I think join_vectorfiles might be needed because of
that.  Refer to the WIEN2k UG (page 207 section 9.17).

[1] http://www.hpc.lsu.edu/docs/guides/software.php?software=wien2k
[2] https://docs.loni.org/wiki/WIEN2K_on_LONI_x86_Clusters
[3]
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg01658.html