[Wien] Some Queries about Polarization and Strain

Jameela Fatheema j.fatheema96 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 08:02:40 CEST 2017

Thank you Sir, It is really helpful.

On Saturday, July 29, 2017, 7:29:54 AM GMT+5, Rubel, Oleg <rubelo at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

Definition of the spontaneous polarization is not always straightforward. It is determined with respect to a reference structure. The choice of the reference structure is a tricky part and depends on how the polarization manifests itself in an experimental situation. I would suggest checking those two tutorials to begin with:https://github.com/spichardo/BerryPI/wiki/Tutorial-1:-Spontaneous-Polarization-in-BaTiO3https://github.com/spichardo/BerryPI/wiki/Tutorial-4:-Polarization-in-GaN
Calculation of the response to strain (a piezoelectric coefficient) requires relaxation of atomic positions to be realistic. It also becomes not a trivial analysis, since the polarization changes due to two effects: the volume change as well as atomic displacements. It seems that the "raw" Berry phase is more suitable for this purpose. Please check the section "Calculation of piezoelectric coefficients" in http://olegrubel.mcmaster.ca/publications/2017/Rubel_SR_2017.pdf
I hope this will help Oleg
--
Oleg Rubel (PhD, PEng)
McMaster University