[Wien] Error - Fermi level was not found for doping

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Mon Jul 31 07:17:07 CEST 2017

As mentioned at

http://qe-forge.org/pipermail/pw_forum/2016-May/109991.html

Maybe this happens when VBM, CBM, and Efermi are the same, and Egap is 0.

In your case.outputtrans, are the values like that under the "OUTPUT
from BANDANA" section?

If so, I think it was mentioned at

http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp-forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9660&p=14325#p14325

that increasing lpfac in case.intrans or fixing a problem with the
case.energy[up/dn] input may have resolved this.

A common problem with case.energy occurs if a file from the WIEN2k scf
calculation is not used:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg11759.html

 From a code perspective, it looks like this error may be coming from
lines in boltztrap-1.2.5\src\fermiintegrals.F90:

       if (iiter > 999 .or. abs(sumelec-sumelec_target) > 1.d-12) then
         write (*,*) 'Error - Fermi level was not found for doping ',
idoping, ' at temperature ', temp
       end if

So it looks like the number of iterations (iiter) became too large
(i.e., greater than 999) during the search for the Efermi or it looks
like the absolute value of the difference between the sumelec and
sumelec_target was greater than zero (where the 1.d-12 is used as a
tolerance to represent zero as floating-point arithmetic is inherently
inexact such that floating point numbers might not always compare
properly for exact equality [
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20764911/floating-point-numbers-equality
,
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/comparing-floating-point-numbers-2012-edition/