[Wien] Ferromagnetic compound has non-magnetic moments

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Jun 13 08:24:50 CEST 2017

what is the magnetic moment per Ni atom and the total magnetic moment per cell from the experiment ? (any reference available ?)
what type of "magnetic" does the experiment find: ferro-, ferri-, antiferro-magnetic, spiral spin structure or any other noncollinear spin structure ?

Was your initial magnetisation set up correctly ?

If your initial solution was not spin polarized and you use it for further methods, then the addition of SO (for example) will not result in a spin polarized solution. (Why should it ?)

Did you try to start with a fixed spin moment calculation using the total magnetic moment per cell from the experiment ?
Were the Fermi energies of the two spin channeds from this calculations close to each other, or does it need a large field to stabilize the solution ?

By the way, there is no need that intermetallic compounds have both, itinerant and localized magnetism.
Indeed, LDA+U does not make sense if you do not have localized electrons.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University