[Wien] Convergence problem in mbj potential calculation

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Jun 13 19:09:07 CEST 2017

Where to start!

1) You have not followed the suggestions during initialization. Your
structure is #123 (P4/mmm) with a different number of unique atoms.
2) The structure is probably wrong. It currently contains Ti3+ atoms
(as well as Ni2+ and Li1+). Almost certainly it will be distorted
and/or form a superstructure. How well was the XRD done? If low
resolution powder then the Li positions as well as the O are probably
badly defined, and the cell may be wrong.
3) Ni2+ will require +U or -eece.
4) The calculation will need to be -sp, and the magnitic oridering
(AFM?) will need to be worked out.
5) I wrote "Check", not "check" -- they are different.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM, shamik chakrabarti
<shamikphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> :GAP  : -99999.   Ry = -9999.    eV  ( metallic )
>>> :GAP  : -99999.   Ry = -9999.    eV  ( metallic )
>>>

>>> with regards,
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Fecher, Gerhard
>>> <fecher at uni-mainz.de<mailto:fecher at uni-mainz.de>> wrote:
>>> and what values did you reach for charge and energy convergence ?
>>>
>>> maybe the number of k-points is too small to reach your cc.
>>>
>>> is the gap stable or does it still change much between the scf cycles ?
>>>

>>> Ciao
>>> Gerhard
>>>
>>> DEEP THOUGHT in D. Adams; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
>>> "I think the problem, to be quite honest with you,
>>> is that you have never actually known what the question is."
>>>
>>> ====================================
>>> Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
>>> Institut of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry
>>> Johannes Gutenberg - University
>>> 55099 Mainz
>>> and
>>> Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids
>>> 01187 Dresden
>>> Betreff: Re: [Wien] Convergence problem in mbj potential calculation
>>>
>>> Dear Gerhard,
>>>
>>>                      Convergence criteria is : CC=0.0001, ec=0.0001
>>> 8 atoms , K-points = 125, rk max=7
>>>
>>> with regards,
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Fecher, Gerhard
>>> <fecher at uni-mainz.de<mailto:fecher at uni-mainz.de><mailto:fecher at uni-mainz.de<mailto:fecher at uni-mainz.de>>>
>>> wrote:
>>> No answer possible, without knowing your convergence criteria
>>> are they just too tight ?
>>>
>>> Number of k-points too small ? rkmax ? number of atoms ?
>>>
>>> Ciao
>>> Gerhard
>>>
>>> DEEP THOUGHT in D. Adams; Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
>>> "I think the problem, to be quite honest with you,
>>> is that you have never actually known what the question is."
>>>
>>> ====================================
>>> Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
>>> Institut of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry
>>> Johannes Gutenberg - University
>>> 55099 Mainz
>>> and
>>> Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids
>>> 01187 Dresden
>>> Betreff: [Wien] Convergence problem in mbj potential calculation
>>>
>>> Dear wien2k users,
>>>
>>>                       I am trying to simulate DOS of a semiconducting
>>> material using mbj potential. It has run for 230 cycles now. Also, from
>>> cycle 210 to 230 the charge & energy convergence remain stuck at a single
>>> value. what should I do now?...should I change the mixing parameter or
>>> should I just wait?
>>>
>>> Any response in this regard will be helpful for us.
>>>
>>> with regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Shamik Chakrabarti
>>> Post Doctoral Research Associate
>>> Dept. of Condensed Matter Physics and  Material Science
>>> S N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
>>> INDIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Shamik Chakrabarti
>>> Post Doctoral Research Associate
>>> Dept. of Condensed Matter Physics and  Material Science
>>> S N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
>>> Kolkata-700098
>>> INDIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Shamik Chakrabarti
>>> Post Doctoral Research Associate
>>> Dept. of Condensed Matter Physics and  Material Science
>>> S N Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
>>> Kolkata-700098
>>> INDIA

--
Professor Laurence Marks
"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what
nobody else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
www.numis.northwestern.edu ; Corrosion in 4D: MURI4D.numis.northwestern.edu
Partner of the CFW 100% program for gender equity, www.cfw.org/100-percent
Co-Editor, Acta Cryst A