[Wien] How to estimate the value of Ueff using LDA + U

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Mon Mar 20 11:38:37 CET 2017

For Gd you may use the value suggested by the template,
for other elements with partially filled 4f or 5f shells (rare earth and actinides) you may have to cross check with experimental values of the measured 4f/5f photoelectron spectra
(vary U to see that the f binding energy corresponds to the experiment, you may need to use spin-orbit interaction),
or use on the Wien2k webpage the section "registered users"; WIEN2k-Textbooks: Notes about constraint LDA calculations to determine U by G. Madsen and P. Novak
    that explains how to do it.

.. or you may read the papers of many authors including me for critical reviews (too many to name them here, just use google scholar or web of science to search)

For Heusler compounds consisting only of transition and main group metals it does not make sense to use LDA+U (there is only one exception).

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University