[Wien] Refractive index calculation using kram

Pavel Ondračka pavel.ondracka at email.cz
Fri Mar 24 12:34:30 CET 2017

---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
Datum: 24. 3. 2017 12:01:18
Předmět: Re: [Wien] Refractive index calculation using kram

"No, you cannot do that.

You can run x optic on any k-mesh you like and get the momentum
matrix elements.

But you cannot run x joint with an arbitrary k-mesh (I'm even
surprised that it did not crash). joint performs an integration over the
BZ using a tetrahedron method. So it need a tetrahedral mesh (from x kgen).

(You cannot calculate a DOS using x tetra either with an arbitrary
k-mesh (except when using a simple sample method and Gauss broadening).

On 03/24/2017 09:59 AM, Yong Woo Kim wrote:
> Dear Wien2k users,
>
> Hello, I am currently working on obtaining transition dipole moment
> values of wurtzite ZnO along a path using optic.
>
> I have obtained some results but to check whether they are reasonable, I
> have been trying to obtain the refractive index values using x kram.
>
> It seems that if I perform x kram after obtaining the momentum matrix
> elements along a certain path, (specified by xcrysden.klist for
> bandstructure calculations) I get incorrect refractive index values.
> That is I performed something like the following commands.
>
> x lapw1 -band
> x optic
> x joint
> x kram
>
> and opticplot_lapw to see the refractive index curve. Am I not supposed
> to do this and perform x optic on a regular k mesh?
>
> I also tried the same thing without the bandstructure calculation part, i.
e.

> x kgen
> x lapw1
> x lapw2 -fermi
> x optic
> x joint
> x kram
>
> and the results seemed to be more reasonable but still the refractive
> index values were about 0.2 lower than the known values. Is this within
> errors of DFT calculation? Or is it too large and I may have done
> something wrong? "

Dear Yong,

since prof. Blaha already answered the first part of the question, I'll just
add some notes on this part.

To get a good absolute refractive index value from DFT is quite hard.

If your gap is too low (as usual with LDA or GGA) the transitions are
shifted lower in energy and you will get high refractive index. Even if you
correct this eg. with scissor operator then you can have some excitonic
effects in play which would (besides changing the overall shape of the
dielectric function) also shift the spectral weight to lower energies =>
since those are not calculated in optic (you would need BSE module for
this), your calculated refractive index decreases.

Also, all possible transitions contribute to refractive index, so it is
important that you have high enough emax values in lapw1, optic and joint
input files, otherwise you will get also lower then expected value due to
missing high energy transitions.

Sometimes those errors cancel, and you get correct refractive index. For
example with the original mBJ parametrization which underestimated little
bit the quasiparticle band gaps the downshift of the gap caused by this
compensates the missing downshift from excitonic effects and you can get
quite good refractive index for lot of oxides (such as TiO2, HfO2, SiO2).
Don't know about ZnO though.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Pavel

"
> Also in the end I need to obtain the momentum matrix elements using the
> first way, and when I do it should I use a finer k mesh before the band
> calculation? That is,
>
> x kgen
> x lapw1 -band
> x optic
>
> Right now I am just using a value of 1000 used in init_lapw. Could there
> be a reasonable value (or minimum value) of k points that should be used?
>
> Thank you very much for reading the long post, and any help will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> Yong Woo Kim

theochem.tuwien.ac.at/index.html