[Wien] Coult not reproduced results of CoSb3

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue May 16 08:31:35 CEST 2017

My earlier remark (probably it appears more than once or in different ways in the mailing list)
means that you cannot use the Engel-Vosko (EV) based functional for optimitzation of the crystal structure.

If you read the paper of Engel and Vosco, you find that they optimized the exchange part of the functional.
The method they used for that is the optimized potential model that is sometimes also called exact exchange method.
If you check the contributions to the energy you will find that the EV contributes a much different amount of exchange energy Ex to the exchange-correlation energy Exc
compared to other GGA's say Perdew-Burke-Ernzerhof (PBE).

Note that (nearly) all exchange-correlation functionals have an exchange and a correlation part.
(There might be methods where one or the other is not needed to be calculated, but that's a different story)
Exception appear if the two parts cannot be divided from each other. Examples may be the Slater X_alpha fuctional or the Kohn-Sham functional that is sometimes called an exchange-only functional.
If you read  the paper of Engel and Vosco carefully, you will find that the latter, the Kohn-Sham xc functional, still enters
the exchange potential and energy (v_x and E_x) of the Engel Vosko GGA as v^LDA, E^LDA.
Indeed, one can use the Engel-Vosko functional as an exchange-only functional, however, in the old option 15 it was used together with the Perdew-Wang correlation part
and thus the results will be different if you compare the "exchange-only" calculation to an "exchange-correlation" calculation.

Note: The EV93 + PW91 functional may lead to strange magnetic states in spin polarized calculations.
I use it only for semiconductors  to "correct" the size of the band gap, as it is as a simple GGA much faster than other methods.

For more you should always read and understand the original papers on the different functionals before using them.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University