[Wien] open shell case [Si and Ge]

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Fri Nov 3 09:53:29 CET 2017

Hello Gerhard,

I'm reasoning by analogy now, not by deep understanding, but indeed, if you would apply Hund's rule to the relativistic p-shell, it looks to me it would be as you describe. The p-1/2 would then play the same role as an s-orbital for Hund's rules.

Anyway, this is not relevant for wien2k free atom calculations because (1) Si and Ge are too light for the fully relativistic quantum numbers to apply, and (2) the calculations are done at the scalar-relativistic level.

Best,
Stefaan