[Wien] Large cell instgen_lapw : word too long

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Nov 6 12:37:14 CET 2017

Many, many points:

1) mpi and k-point parallel are different. For mpi you need software, e.g.
openmpi or the Intel impi and you need to include this in the
configuration. You will need to learn some Linux/computing basics and/or
get help from someone local. It is not really appropriate to ask this list
to help install mpi.

2) Increasing rkmax is not as efficient as mpi in my experience, although
this depends upon the computer architecture (Peter has the opposite
conclusion for small problems).

3) mpi allows you to share the load, for instance have 16 cores working on
the job not one. 16 cores can be ten times faster than one, although note
2) above. For 300 atoms without mpi your problem may not converge before
2018.

4) 1 Re atom in fcc Fe has at least cubic symmetry. If you do not enter
positions right, symmetry/sgroup won't find the symmetry. I would use
cryscon which is cheap, and allows one to generate CIF files with symmetry.
There are other codes.

5) For 300 atoms probably only 1 k-point is needed.

6) Walk before you run. Understand a small model first.

_____
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
www.numis.northwestern.edu