[Wien] HDLO and LVNS

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 13 09:59:04 CET 2017

High Pablo,

I think there is a reasonable amount of information in the UG, including
a citation for further reading (which I never followed):

UG Version 17.1, ch. 7.5, first par.:

When adding such LOs, make sure their E-parameters are far away from
each other (typically at least 1 Ry, often 2.4 Ry), otherwise ghostbands
may occur. In addition (or sometimes, alternatively) a second-derivative
(HDLO) LO for improved E-linearization of valence bands (in particular
for d and f-states and large RMTs)[Karsai et al., 2017] can be defined.

So, HD indeed stands for 'higher derivative' in general, and in Wien2k
2nd derivatives are implemented.

Furthermore, see the 'Interpretive comments' for case.in1 in the UG,
there especially the comments on NAPWL.

Maybe you also want to note that there is a warning in the OPTICS
section that HDLO's are not supported in that package.

Best regards,

Martin Pieper

---
Dr. Martin Pieper