[Wien] Intel compilers and MPI versions

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Thu Nov 23 06:15:02 CET 2017

Students, Classroom Educators (Professors), and Open-Source Contributors
might be able to get a free license for some Intel tools:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/parallel-studio-xe/choose-download

For WIEN2k, I believe commercial researchers have to buy a commercial
license.  Professors doing research are paid a salary and student
researchers are paid a stipend or are working on a funded research
project typically, such that they usually have to buy an academic license:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/non-commercial-software-faq
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/academic-pricing

The old non-commerical license that was less restrictive on who could
use it or what it could be used for was discontinued:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-and-mac-os-x/topic/533638

For WIEN2k 17.1, if you use a ifort/mkl version older than update 2 of
the 2013 composer xe, you need to patch the code to use the
-Dold_scalapack switch:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16487.html

However, it is recommend to use a ifort/mkl version newer than that,
which uses the new pzheevr function.  This is because there were cases
were the old Scalapack diagonalization failed:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16484.html

You probably do NOT want to use the 16.0.3.210 version due to the
serious bug that it has:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16520.html

Some, or perhaps all, of the 2016 and 2017 versions are known to be
problematic with large arrays and using -assume nobuffered_io may help
resolve this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16232.html

There are known file IO problems with 2018, but there may be fixes in
the mailings list for that:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16589.html

Depending on your Linux operating system version, you might want to
check the Intel Release Notes to determine which version has matching
support with the ifort/mkl version that you are using:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe-release-notes-and-new-features

For example, the 2018 update 1 version of ifort/mkl has "4.3 Operating
System Requirements":

Debian* 8, 9
Fedora* 25, 26
Red Hat Enterprise Linux* 6, 7 (equivalent CentOS versions supported,
but not separately tested)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server* 11, 12
Ubuntu* 14.04, 16.04, 17.04
macOS* 10.12, 10.13

Sorry, I currently don't know which of the 2016/2017/2018 ifort/mkl
versions are more stable with WIEN2k.  So you would have to do your own
testing.