[Wien] Question Regarding NMR Calculations and Nuclear quadrupole coupling Constant

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 23 13:10:05 CET 2017

To clarify this:

Yes, there is a line shift by nuclear quadrupole interaction, and,
depending on the size of the EFG, it can be significant for the
determinatation of chemical shift or even Knight shift. It appears in
perturbation theory beyond first order, which describes the familiar
quadrupole splitting. For this you might want to look at

M. H. Cohen and F. Reif,
Quadrupole Effects in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Studies of Solids,
Solid State Physics, Vol 5
Academic Press, 1957
editors F. Seitz and D. Turnbull

Of course, nowadays you can also do a numerical diagonalization of the
Hamiltonian for magnetic field and quadrupole interaction.

Best regards,

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University