[Wien] Ueff

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 28 14:02:39 CET 2017

Until one of the real experts (I am not among them) finds time to
answer: My guess is that both is correct, Ueff=U-J as well as
Ueff=U-J/2. That is, the meaningful thing to do is set J=0 (see UG
section on ORB), and not estimate it from DFT.

The common ground between ORB or DFT and the magnetism of atoms as in
Hunds rules is a multiband Hubbard model.

For the latter, the multiple correlation energy parameters of such a
model are summarized into one intra-orbital U, one inter-orbital V, and
a Hund's rule parameter J reducing the inter-orbital correlation energy
for same spin direction. [1].

For the former, the parameter Ueff represents on-site contributions to
the correlation energy which are underestimated by L(S)DA. Ueff is,
therefore, an approximation that has to estimate the contribution
already accounted for by L(S)DA  - which leads to options 1,2,3 for
different self-interaction corrections.

I doubt that there is a general and safe way to assign specific parts of
the correlation energy to U, V, and J. At least, the authors of the ORB
code recommend to avoid the ambiguities [2], and to set J=0.

[1] see for example, the talk 'Localized Electrons with Wien2k' by Elias
Assmann Wien, workshop 2013, ldau.pdf among the documentations on the
Wien2k site
[2] G. K. H. Madsen and P. Novák, Europhys. Lett. 69, 777 (2005)

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University
Institute of Physics