[Wien] Optical properties with SO coupling

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Oct 6 04:42:36 CEST 2017

Ok, your suggestion sounds good to me.

The WIEN2k 17.1 usersguide [1] states on page 177 in section "8.17 OPTIC
(calculating optical properties)":

"In spin-polarized cases with spin-orbit only one call to optic, joint
and/or kram (either up or down) is necessary, since the spins are not
independent any more and both vector-files are used at the same time."

Unless something has changed [2], if I understand the above statement
correctly, only the "x kram -up" should be used to use case.jointup for
the spin-polarized SO case (similar to point 2 marked below in your
post).  So it may be that this type of calculation is a more recent
enhancement to the w2web interface (i.e., previous could only be done in
the terminal only or with the 'single program' feature in w2web), such
that it might be missing the "-up" for the kram step.

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/usersguide.pdf

[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg11186.html