[Wien] Optical properties with SO coupling

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 11 14:29:09 CEST 2017

Dear wien2k users,

Unfortunately, I forgot my own advise, namely that in spin-polarized
calculations + SO we need to run only spin-up to get everything.

Therefore in WIEN2k_17 spin-polarized spin-orbit calculations would need
to be run for both spins (x optic -up/-dn; x joint -up/-dn) and then
addjoint-updn would be needed.

This is of course not really necessary and against what is written in
the UG.

The attached joint.f should correct for that and the following sequences
should be ok again (assuming identical k-mesh as in scf):

run_lapw                    # non-spinpolarized case
x optic
x joint
x kram

runsp_lapw                  # spin-polarized case
x optic -up
x optic -dn
x joint -up
x joint -dn
addjoint-updn
x kram   (no -up !)

run -so            # non-spinpolarized + SO (with inversion symmetry)
x optic -so
x joint
x kram

without inversion, please follow the UG or set up from the beginning a
spin-polarized case (with zero magnetization):
runsp_c -so
x optic -up -so
x joint -up
x kram -up