[Wien] fermi wave vector Kf

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Oct 22 22:46:21 CEST 2017

Is Kf the radius to the fermi surface [1]?

If so, maybe you can extract it from a fermi surface calculation [2] using:

a) XCrySDen [3]

or

b) FSGEN [4]

I have also seen the PW91 GGA equation [5]:

kF = (3*pi^2*n)^(1/3)

In a terminal, if you do:

cd $WIENROOT/SRC_lapw0

grep TKF *

In the output, you should see for example:

vxi35.f: TKF = 2.D0*(3.D0*PI2*D)**THRD

 From above, it looks like TKF = 2*kF, where D = n.

Though, it is noted that the vxi35.f code might be for another
functional other than PW91 GGA. So you would have to test and determine
yourself which functional(s) and/or nuances that line of code is for.
Also, I'm not seeing TKF written to any output file.  So you would
likely have to add your own code to output the TKF values, such as with
a WRITE statement [6].

Hope that helps and good luck.

[1]
https://www.fhi-berlin.mpg.de/~wolf/femtoweb/teaching/WS0506-wolf-festk/WS0506/material/free_electron3_4.pdf
[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg02526.html
[3] http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/fermi.html
[4] Section "8.7 FSGEN (Fermi-surface generation)" on page 159 in the
WIEN2k 17.1 usersguide (
http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/usersguide.pdf )
[5] Equation 29 in chapter "Derivation of a Generalized Gradient
Approximation: The PW91 Density Functional" of the book titled
"Electronic Density Functional Theory:Recent Progress and New
Directions" ( http://www.springer.com/us/book/9780306458347 )
[6] Intel Fortran Compiler 17.0 Developer Guide and Reference (
https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/680026 )