[Wien] About the magnetic moment of vanadium in vanadium sulphide

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Sep 2 20:06:06 CEST 2017

Be aware that Hund's rules do rest on certain assumptions about the
relative strength of intra- and inter-atomic couplings. There are, after
all, a lot of para- or diamagnetic materials around. Try to look that
up. Is your Vanadium sulphide magnetically ordered from experiment?

In your case the 0.05 mu_B is probably an instance of the problems
frequently encountered in strongly correlated systems: There are several
states with very similar total energy, but with very different
configurations of charges and spins. Search the mailing list for
magnetic ordered states, or for orbital order.

The scf cycle of DFT will tend to stay near the configuration it started
from. If you start from a standard non-magnetic configuration set by
lstart it won't look at magnetically ordered states. Try to start the
scf cycle from magnetic configurations - you can set them up in lstart -
and compare the total energies. Be carefull to change only the magnetic
starting configuration, NOT RMT's, RKMAX, K-mesh, crystal symmetry,
whatever.

Note that the starting spin configurations you can set in lstart may
well be not good enough. You may have to modify the density matrix of
the problematic orbitals by hand and let the scf cycle dig itself in in
that state by using the option -orbc. This also has been explained in
posts in this mailing list before - perhaps most detailed by prof. Tran.

Good luck with your calculations

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University