[Wien] About the magnetic moment of vanadium in vanadium sulphide

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 7 11:39:07 CEST 2017

Your problem is 'if it's possible to get' AF VS with 0.05 mu_B/Vanadium
in DFT?
IF (capitals are on purpose here) you did everything right to properly
converge your calculations to the necessary numerical precision, then
you give the answer yourself: Yes, it is possible if one uses GGA+U or
+EECE.

Wether or not this is an improved model of VS remains open. You still
did very little to convince Prof. Fecher or me that you actually did
things right to achieve that precision.  And you did even less to
convince me (us) that experiments might have missed the small moment.

Even if you are convinced of both, that you did everything right and the
experimentalists did something wrong, you still should discuss very
carefully the physics behind your decision to improve the model of a
metal by introducing a local orbital potential.

You probably don't need to convince us, but keep it in mind for fights
with the referees of a publication on this.

Good luck with your calculations

Martin Pieper

---
Dr. Martin Pieper