[Wien] About the magnetic moment of vanadium in vanadium sulphide

E.A.Moore e.a.moore at open.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 12:00:30 CEST 2017

 I am used to setting up calculations with spins set to be parallel or antiparallel to each other and I would probably class those set up with antiparallel spins as AFM. You can also set up calculations that don't include spin and so will not have any magnetic moments. I tend to regard these as nonmagnetic calculations. However I take the point that something set up as AFM could turn out to have a 0 magnetic moment.

Sorry you are right it should be the V magnetic moments that balance out.

A Pauli paramagnet should have 0 magnetic moment from these calculations (it could be antiferromagnetic or nonmagnetic) as the magnetic moment is only produced when a magnetic field is applied.