[Wien] About the magnetic moment of vanadium in vanadium sulphide

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Sep 12 19:38:24 CEST 2017

Did you read and understand
   Rationale for mixing exact exchange with density functional approximations
   John P. Perdew, Matthias Ernzerhof, and Kieron Burke
   The Journal of Chemical Physics 105 , 9982 (1996)
or similar articles and references there ?

Usually, the parameters of the functionals (including hybrids) are well justified and not arbitrary numbers (even for the empirical functionals as B3LYP)
In my opinion it is bad habit to change functionals in an arbitrary way.
Indeed, one may in the same way change the parameters of the PBE-GGA (or any other LDA or GGA functional) until a calculation fits some property of some haphazardly selected material,
but what do we learn from such a procedure other than nonsense ?

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University