[Wien] Optimization of fraction of exact exchange

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Sat Sep 23 14:58:24 CEST 2017

My approach. You chose some valid set of experimental knowns, e.g.
atomization energies of clusters, heats of formation, reactions using
relevant atoms. You then vary the fraction to find the best fit. The value
will only be "best" to about 0.05.

An alternative that in a few cases worked surprisingly well (with -eece) is
to minimize the forces using the experimental bulk positions, allowing for
a lattice parameter change.

I do not consider fitting the band gap to be valid, as this is an excited
state property. It is valid with +U as this is implicitly a quasi-excited
method since it is defined via change in occupancy.

---
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
http://www.numis.northwestern.edu