[Wien] 'LAPW2: semicore band-ranges too large error' for spin-orbit calculation

Md. Fhokrul Islam fislam at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:06:10 CEST 2018

Dear Wien2k users,

I am trying to run a bandstructure calculation of Cd3As2 semi-metal with spin-orbit coupling. It works fine without spin-orbit coupling (SOC) but I get the following error wen I turn on SOC .

LAPW2: semicore band-ranges too large
cp: cannot stat \u2018.in.tmp\u2019: No such file or directory
LAPW2: semicore band-ranges too large
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
(standard_in) 1: syntax error

In the mailing list I saw some discussion about 'LAPW2: semicore band-ranges too large error' but those seem to be related to the choice of Rmt or RKmax. But in my case I am using Rmt=2.2 for all atoms and RKmax=7. The output files from both lapw1 and lapwso looks ok but it crashes at lapw2.

Since it works fine without SOC, I am not sure what parameter I should change for SOC calculation.  I would appreciate any suggestion to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Fhokrul