[Wien] the difference of the total energy is about 10 eV using wien16.1 and wien17.1

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Apr 27 03:53:47 CEST 2018

Just a thought, maybe it doesn't help, but have you checked the :log
file for which programs are involved in your calculation. Then, used
that to check if there are differences in the code for those programs
that could affect your calculation using the updates list on WIEN2k website:

http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/updates/

For example, if you see lapw1 in your :log file, do you see any change
to SRC_lapw1 in the update list that could effect your calculation?

Similarly, are there any fixes from the mailing list archive that you
have applied to the WIEN2k 17.1 code [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17267.html
] and/or WIEN2k 16.1 code that look like they could cause differences in
your calculation?  Or are you using the original code packages without
any modifications?

What compilers did you use to build WIEN2k?  For the 2016/2017/2018
Intel compilers, there seems to be a lot of reports in the mailing list
indicating that many calculations run fine but some calculations that
would normally run fine consistently fail but somewhat randomly such
that corruption of file data might be caused by Intel compiler bugs or
breaking of older file I/O code to improve the compliance with more
recent Fortran specifications [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17253.html
].  If there are differences in code files, the compiler might optimize
differently producing different executable instructions. If your not
already using -O0 [ https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/677989 ] for
both the WIEN2k 16.1 and WIEN2k 17.1 compiler settings, you could try
that to see if it makes a difference or not.