[Wien] Dense mesh calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Aug 19 07:16:51 CEST 2018

By choosing a local scratch directory  (like /scratch or /tmp or ...,
this depends on your computers, you can then add -scratch /scratch to
all wien2k run or x commands) and using massively k-parallelism (on as
many different nodes as possible, you can distribute these large
case.vector_xx files on many computers. (PS: otherwise a 2 or 4TB
harddisk costs less than 100 $ !!??).

The case.vectorso_xx files are not needed for fermi surfaces (but of
course they are needed for scf or optics, or ...) and can be reduced in
size by selecting emin/emax in case.inso very narrow.

Another simple trick to save disk space would be:

Start x lapw1 -p -band -up/dn  and kill this after a few seconds. Do the
same with  lapwso.

It will prepare a couple of uplapw1_xx.def and case.klist_xx files.

Now you run in a small loop (csh syntax):

foreach i (1 2 3 4)
  lapw1c uplapw1_$i.def      # or lapw1 , depending on in1 or in1c)
  lapw1c dnlapw1_$i.def
  lapwso uplapwso_$i.def
  rm case.vectorup_$i case.vectordn_$i
end

This should produce only one vector file at the time and by choosing
many cores, you can make them arbitrarily small.

Of course, this does not work when you need the vector files for other
programs (lapw2, optics, ...)