[Wien] a note on lattice parameter optimization

Dr. K. C. Bhamu kcbhamu85 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 14:42:34 CET 2018

Dear Prof. Marks,

Thank you very much for the conceptual reply.

I am unable to answer the second point now but  please see for 1st and 3rd
point:

I agree that some time hybrid calculations may fail for some systems. May
you also want to point out that with element from high Z a -SO correction
is needed. But in some reputed papers (Nano. letters) it is mention that
-SO does not affect much for my system.

Regarding, PBESol: in two of PRB papers of Prof. Peter, it is mentioned
that PBESol and WC-GGA are better for optimization
"PhysRevB.79.155107.pdf", PHYSICAL REVIEW B 79, 085104 2009 . The same
trend I am getting where LDA is underestimating the lattice parameter
optimization and PBE is overestimating for a list of materials that I have
testes.

WC-GGA and PBESol are giving the optimized lattice parameters in the
vicinity of Exp lattice parameters (~0.01-~0.02 Ang reduced). So I used
PBESol with mBJ.

Yes, I also do agree that according to UG, LDA or PBE are good for mBJ but
as PBESol gave me well-optimized results so I used PBESol with mBJ.

So I am not able to find out the solution to my issue; Why the bandgap is
drastically reducing if I use "double relaxed structure":

1. relaxed>> 2. optimization of lattice parameter without relaxing>>> 3.
again relaxing the structure (using relaxed structure from step 1 and
optimized lattice parameter from step 2.).

I am sure the procedure used above seems wrong but I am not able to justify
the "double relaxation of the structure.

regards,

Bhamu