[Wien] a note on lattice parameter optimization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Feb 8 15:30:09 CET 2018

There are 3 options:

a) Use the experimental structure parameters and positions.

However, in MANY cases, where only powder samples exist, or light
elements (maybe even H) are next to heavy ones, the experimental
positions are VERY insecure (+ disorder, vacancies, ...).

b) in such cases, use the experimental lattice parameters (usually they
are much more accurate than any theory), but optimize the positions
theoretically.

c) Try to be "ab initio": optimize lattice parameters AND positions
simultaneously (and not only lattice parameters). This is the "ideal
theory approach", but be aware that due to our DFT errors, the results
may not coincide with experiment.