[Wien] wien2wannier with SOC but without sp

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Wed Jan 3 04:12:10 CET 2018

Regarding your question 1) below, yes, it is necessary to add the -up
and -dn to the "x w2w -so" command as the Wien2Wannier 2.0 User’s Guide
says on page 5:

"Note: it does not make sense to run x w2w -so without either -up or -dn;"

Regarding your question 2) below, in the thread of posts for a
wien2wannier spin polarized with spin orbit coupling calculation [2], it
looks like they did a converged scf calculation with

init -b -sp
runsp
initso
runsp -so

before doing the wien2wannier calculation [3].  This implies using a
counterpart scf calculation for a non-spin polarized with spin orbit
coupling calculation.

As you probably know, a non-spin polarized with spin orbit coupling scf
calculation could be done with something like

init -b
run
initso
run -so

However, the wien2wannier article [4] seems to suggest that spin orbit
calculations done with it must be spin polarized:

"Spin-orbit calculation must be run as formally spin-polarized even if
the polarization is zero."

However, while it might be possible to “mimick” a spin polarized
calculation similar to what is described for a optic calculation in
section "8.17.1 Execution" on page 177 in the WIEN2k 17.1 usersguide [6].

The accepted scf procedure for wien2wannier [7] seems to be to use
runsp_c instead:

init -b -sp
runsp_c
initso