[Wien] zigzag potential interpretation

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Fri Jan 5 09:49:29 CET 2018

Dear Laurence, Xavier, Gerhard,

Thanks for your answers. After having digested everything, I can understand the problem described in 'Thought 3' of my initial post now. I'll summarize the answer underneath. The two other questions about the implementation of the zigzag potential are still open. For clarity, I'll repost them after this mail.

This was the initial question:

Thought 3: This is not related to the electric field as such, but when playing with the slab underneath, I notice that in the absence of an electric field all properties of atoms 1 and 2 - the 'left' and 'right' terminating slab surfaces - are identical. Same spin moment, same orbital moment, same EFG,. I didn't expect this, as with magnetism and spin-orbit coupling along 001, the magnetic moments of the atoms are pointing in the positive z-direction. That means 'from the vacuum to the bulk' for atom 1, and 'from the bulk to the vacuum' for atom 2. That's not the same situation, so why does it lead to exactly the same properties? What do I miss here? (The forces (:FGL) for atoms 1 and 2 are opposite, as expected.  And when the electric field is switched on, atoms 1 and 2 do become different, as expected.)

And this is a summary of the answer:

WIEN2k did everything correctly. The root cause of my misunderstanding was that I treated the magnetic moments as vectors, instead of pseudovectors (axial vectors). Without caring about the electric field yet, and including magnetism as well as spin orbit coupling (along 001), my slab has space group 123. The two surfaces are equivalent in this space group. I did not understand this, as for one surface the magnetic moment in the surface layer is pointing away from the vacuum, for the other surface layer the moment is pointing towards the vacuum. That looked inconsistent with the mirror plane perpendicular to the slab axis, going through the center of the slab. However, that's exactly how a pseudovector should behave (see this Wikipedia picture, and mentally rotate the ring current until it lies in the vertical plane, parallel to the mirror: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BIsAPseudovector.svg). The mirror plane in the slab correctly mirrors the ring currents. That's the fundamental quantity.

In order to put the slab at the region in the unit cell where it would feel a constant electric field, I had to break the space group to nr. 99. This makes the two surfaces inequivalent. Which is even necessary, because the applied electric field is a vector (not a pseudovector), hence it makes a difference whether it is pointing away or towards the vacuum. And that's indeed what is shown in the calculations, for instance: the EFG is different in both surfaces when there is an electric field. My mistake was to expect a similar difference in the absence of the electric field, having only spin polarization and spin-orbit coupling. WIEN2k did not show that difference, and it was right.

Thanks!
Stefaan