[Wien] Magnetocrystalline anisotropy

Xavier Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Jan 9 09:44:52 CET 2018

Dear Colleagues

I recently obtained a surprising result concerning the calculation of
the magnetocrystalline anisotropy energy (MAE) of SeCuO3.

This compound has a monoclinic symmetry (SG. P21/n) and is known to be
antiferromagnetically ordered at low temperature.

Here I provide the results obtained for two magnetic orders, named FM
and AFM1 (see attached document) :

https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=download&token=1da93a22-9592-3a7e-ba2e-1533fcae45d2

These calculations have been done using WIEN2k_17, GGA = PBE, RKMAX = 6,
kmesh = 5 4 4 and in P1 symmetry. The results are the same using RKMAX = 7.

The AFM1 order is the more stable one, as expected.

However, as shown in the document the MAE of AFM1 order is not
symmetric, which is not expected. In contrast the MAE for FM order is
symmetric.

Based on the recent discussion "zigzag potential", it seems to me that
the AFM1 MAE should be symmetric, because the magnetic moment is a
pseudo-vector. Is it possible that the present problem is related to the
fact that in the present implementation of the spin-orbit coupling we
neglect the off-diagonal terms? Do you have any idea about the problem
we are facing? Does someone observe such unusual MAE for other systems?

Best Regards

Xavier