[Wien] Magnetocrystalline anisotropy

William Lafargue-dit-Hauret william.lafargue-dit-hauret at univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Jan 16 17:57:17 CET 2018

Dear Profs. Blaha and Marks,

Thank you for your advices. I have a question regarding your comment on
the EECE case.

The resulting effective potential of LDA+U and EECE corrections is
decomposed in vorb files, but I don't understand why the spin-coupling
file case.vorbud shouldn't appear in the second case.

I have a second question regarding the reading of these orbital
potential files. We noticed the orb program read only the real part,
neglecting the imaginary one (Prof. Marks already noticed it in the
source code). Due to our energy scale which is tiny, could we expect an
impact of such approximation ? Considering your last comments, it seems
not due to the execution of the orb program only in lapw1 and not during
the perturbative procedure.

Thank you by advance.

All the best,

William Lafargue-dit-Hauret

Le 16/01/2018 à 17:05, Xavier Rocquefelte a écrit :
> I was not clear Peter. I clarify the way we proceed.
>
> We do runsp_lapw -eece -p -ec 0.00001 -NI
>
> Then for larger EMAX and kmesh without SO we do :
>
> x lapw1 -up -c -orb
> x lapw1 -dn -c -orb
>
> And for the different magnetization directions we do:
>
> x lapwso -c -up  -orb
> x lapw2 -so -up  -c
> x lapw2 -so -dn  -c
>

> Le 16/01/2018 à 16:58, Peter Blaha a écrit :
>> Hups: If this is true, you are counting the orbital potential twice !
>>
>> -orb should only be present in the lapwso step.
>> (And in fact, the lapw1 steps need to be done just once for the
>> increased k-mesh; but not when changing the M-direction in case.inso)
>>
>> Please check the presence of case.vorbud. It must not be there for EECE.
>>
>> You could also test Laurence suggestion, running:
>>
>> x lapw1 -up/dn -orb
>> x lapwso -up      (no -orb !!!)
>>
>> and see of it makes a difference.
>>
>> On 01/16/2018 04:52 PM, Xavier Rocquefelte wrote:
>>> Dear Peter
>>>
>>> You are totally correct. We are doing SO non-selfconsistent by using
>>> a standard procedure for EECE calculations:
>>>
>>> runsp_lapw -eece -p -ec 0.00001 -NI
>>>
>>> and then we estimate the MAE using this non-SCF procedure :
>>>
>>> Increase EMAX in case.in1c - increase kmesh if needed ....
>>>
>>> x lapw1 -up -c -orb
>>> x lapw1 -dn -c -orb
>>> x lapwso -c -up  -orb
>>> x lapw2 -so -up  -c
>>> x lapw2 -so -dn  -c
>>>
>>> Such a procedure was working nicely in previous WIEN2k versions.
>>> Best Regards
>>> Xavier

William LAFARGUE-DIT-HAURET
PhD Student
Institut des Sciences Chimiques de Rennes UMR 6226
Equipe Chimie Théorique Inorganique
Université de Rennes 1 - Campus de Beaulieu
35042 Rennes, France
Building 10B, Desk 211
Phone: +33 (0)2.23.23.57.91
Email: william.lafargue-dit-hauret at univ-rennes1.fr